We cover so much today with our guest, interior designer Matthew Carter, that it's an episode you don't want to miss! From brown furniture to bookshelves to investing in great pieces and so much more, Matthew offers us down-to-earth advice about decorating your home and how the laidback horse farms of Kentucky inform his style.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode:
- Why a collected and beautiful house feels more evolved than everything matching
- Matthew's design process which starts with fabrics and furniture layout
- Matthew's background and how it has evolved
- Why it’s okay to mix and match colors, finishes and fabrics.
- How to break up a room seamlessly, and why hosting a party can help you plan your furniture layout
- Great ways to bring down the formality and humanize the room using a formulas for curtains, sofas and rugs
- Built ins are a great way to add architecture to a space — just make sure you have books!
- Painted chairs are always beautiful and a new coat of paint is a great way to freshen up a room
- Every room needs a mix of high and low, and Matthew reminds us we can’t be too intimidated by decorating in general
- If you have to move a pillow to sit down — it’s flat out wrong!
- Matthew’s take on curtain length
Mentioned In This Episode