This week we go to New York to catch up with Miles Redd, and his design partner in crime David Kaihoi. Miles has been featured in Vogue, W, House Beautiful, Architectural Digest and now he brings his one of a kind style to outdoor furniture at Ballard Designs. We talk with Miles and David about the inspiration behind the new collection, which offers beautifully designed quality pieces that look expensive and high end but are affordable and functional.
What You'll Hear on This Episode:
- Decorating should be fun, and not a source of stress or pressure.
- How Miles and David overcome a creative dry spell or artistic lull and get in touch with their inspiration
- The importance of feasting your eyes on beautiful homes to gather ideas, even if it’s just on vacation
- What it’s like to see things again with wonder and newness from the fresh eye of children
- The role of performance fabrics and durability in a home with kids
- The balance of giving their younger clients what they want between what is functional and makes the most sense
- Their new self storing cushion chair in the outdoor furniture collection blends stunning aesthetic with practical usage.
- Their special dining room tables that feature options and versatility
- The colors and materials that they love enough to bring in to their new office,
- Their work with Housing Works and Design on a Dime to help people get back on their feet and feel comfortable in society
- Their special theme of color and wallpaper for the booth this year, and their inspiration behind it
- A quick and easy way to decorate using wall sculptures
- How Miles switches from designing for clients and interior design to product development and design
- Miles and David’s propensity for adding in ebony or chalky white furniture to add an elegant and high end touch