Our in house design expert, Miriam Leuthold, joins us to talk about the most common decorating question we get in our stores, on our blog, and in our reader emails. How do I layout my room? Miriam is a trained interior designer, so she's answering all of your questions, including traffic flow, focal points, spacing, and much more.
What You'll Hear on This Episode:
- Before we get started, we talk about the 'life' of a Ballard product -- how it gets made, where our inspiration comes from, and how long it takes
- We talk about building your room about a focal point, including what that focal point can be
- Miriam suggests starting with a rug and keeping all of your furniture pieces on the rug
- We talk about focusing your seating around your TV versus a fireplace
- What to do when you walk right into the living room through the front door
- Karen tells us how she's solved this problem in her own 1920"s bungalow
- What to do if you have a really, really large living room
- What to do when you don't have an architectural feature that creates a focal point
- The TV dilemma -- how to address it? Hide it in plain sight? Or hide it completely?
- We discuss traffic flow, including proper distance for a walkway and distance between coffee table and seating
- Why we all love occasional chairs so much
- We talk about laying out your bedroom, and why keeping it simple works
- How do we approach a home office?
- Karen calls out her cousin who has a really depressing home office situation