This week we have a very special guest all the way from California, interior designer Mark D. Sikes. Mark is a veritable renaissance man with a furniture line, fabric collection, rug collection, book, fashion line, and of course his interior design business. He shares the story of how his Los Angeles home landed on the cover of House Beautiful, his love of fashion and experience working in fashion, how he approaches a new space, and how to get that effortless California style in your home.
WHAT YOU'LL HEAR ON THIS EPISODE:
- Taryn's trial involves the yearly dilemma of pollen versus outdoor furniture.
- Karen gives us tips for pruning hydrangeas.
- My London travel momento is both my trial and my triumph.
- Karen's guest bedroom saga continues. This week, she's talking about paint.
- Mark shares the process of designing his furniture collection and where his inspiration comes from
- How his degree in finance helps his interior design business
- We press him on how he started his MDS Stripes fashion line
- Mark loves a stripe -- so much that he started a striped clothing line -- so he schools us on mixing stripes together
- Why no room should ever look perfect
- His one design rule is that a space looks like it's been created over time
- We talk about California style and how we can bring a little of it into our homes
- He shares the inspiration and plan for the Coastal Living Idea House that he's designing in Newport, Rhode Island
- We talk about his living room in the Southern Living Idea House which was all neutral
- Of course we have to ask him his decorating pet peeves
- Mark shares the incredible story of how his house landed on the cover of House Beautiful
- His decorating advice for anyone looking to start out in the design industry