We recently traveled to High Point, North Carolina for their Spring Market and had the chance to sit down with some of our favorite tastemakers. This week, we're sharing our interview with the Editor in Chief of Domino Magazine, Jessica Romm Perez. She's worked at some of our favorite magazines -- Martha Stewart, Food & Wine, and Elle Decor just to name a few -- so we loved chatting with her about what trends she's seeing at market, her recent home renovation, and how her team dreams up such a gorgeous issue! Of course we couldn't end the episode without her answering your decorating questions!
WHAT YOU'LL HEAR ON THIS EPISODE:
- We're in High Point Market in North Carolina interviewing interior designers and editors
- We talk about why we love market and what it is
- Karen's triumph is the new bed she put in her guest bedroom
- Her trial is that her guest bedroom closet won't close because of the bed!
- We talk about how everything in Karen's house is from Ballard but why it doesn't actually look like our catalog or store
- Taryn's trial and triumph is a new console table she got from the Ballard outlet
- My triumph is that I took a macaron making class with my mom and now I'm a macaron expert!
- My trial is that I missed my rose bush blooming while I was in London, and it won't bloom again until next year. So disappointing! Also the saying about roses that I couldn't remember is, "First it sleeps, then it creeps, then it leaps."
- We talk about her favorite part of market, how her editorial team decides which trends to feature in the magazine, and what is exciting her right now at market
- She shares her best tips for decorating with kids, including organizing kid's toys in her small New York apartment
- How systems are a crucial part of her decorating and organizing strategy
- How she stepped into the role of editor in chief at such a beloved brand and magazine
- We talk about our favorite recent features in the latest issue of Domino, like the crudite platter Karen recently tried
- Jessica talks about their focus at Domino which is focusing on real, attainable living by real people. It's not just about a fantasy, everything they share is attainable.
- Jessica shares her rules for mixing metals in your home -- just go for it!
- She shares her most recent home purchase and talks about her home renovation
- What colors she's gravitating toward and why color impacts the mood of your home